Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's official - I'm a sook!

As you probably know, several weeks ago, both our female cats gave birth to four kittens each.

A week or so later, my dear hubby said he'd need to 'do something' about them shortly.  I knew it would be hard - it's very difficult to put animals down, but what else to do?  We live in a farming community, and the last thing most farmers want is to have even more cats around.

But then, a friend visited, and said she'd love to take one of them.  She also said that when her cat had a litter of kittens, she'd simply put up signs, and all of them had found a home.

So, I was then a woman with a mission!  Five signs went up around the towns, including these two pictures:



Four weeks went by, and slowly, the phone calls came.  We had found homes for six of the kittens!  I was quite proud of myself, and resigned myself to the fact we would be left with two. Well, two more cats in the house wouldn't be such a bad thing, and the two we had left had captured my heart.

Then, I began telephoning people to let them know their kittens were ready.  My friend, by this time, had decided that maybe it would be better to take two kittens, so they'd keep each other company.  This was fine - it would still leave me with my favourite kitten of all - little Snowy (1st picture about, 2nd from the left).  However, my daughter's favourite was Fluffy (the next one along, with his head up), so we agreed we'd give the lady who wanted a 'male ginger' a choice between the two.

But then, when I rang this lady and mentioned she had a choice, she said she'd take them both - she had a friend who also wanted one.  Reluctantly, I agreed.

And so, all our babies found a home.

And I cried.


But I know it is the right thing to do.  We still have four cats, and even in the country, that is enough.  And I know that dear hubby did not cry when he heard the news!

Four of our kittens have now gone to their new homes.  Two more go this Saturday, and the final two next weekend.  The two female cats are then booked in to be de-sexed the following Tuesday, so I'm hoping I'll never have to go though this again!

It's so wonderful that they have all found homes, but I will miss them.  I suspect though, that our remaining cats will be even more loved, and receive many more cuddles, in the weeks and months to come.  It'd be nice sometimes to have a heart of stone and not care, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a softie!

Linda.

No comments: