Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Monday, April 2, 2012

Understanding the Scriptures

Last week, we completed 'Understanding the Scriptures', a Catholic text, which is part of the Didache Series.

This particular book is written by Dr. Scott Hahn, which always indicates that it will be a good read.  I completed this text with my son, 17, and my 16 year old daughter.  As it was written by Dr. Hahn, I was a little concerned it may be over our heads, but I was pleasantly surprised.  There were questions to get you thinking of course, but I found it to be an excellent text, and at just the right level for us. 

The course took us right through salvation history, and shows the importance of the scriptures, and explains the various books of the Bible.  Earlier in the year, we completed Jeff Cavin's 'The Great Adventure' DVDs, and it turned out that 'Understanding the Scriptures' was a great extension and a wonderful follow-on from that series.

We're now beginning on 'Catholic Morality', the next book in the series.  The teacher manual for this book is very detailed, and I think it may be quite a challenge, but I believe it is, once again, perfect for my teens at this stage.

Isn't it great when all those hours of curriculum planning actually work out? 

Linda.

No comments: