Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Monday, March 19, 2012

My Happy Place

Years ago, back in the days where I went out to work for a living, I attending a seminar which spoke about reducing our stress levels.  During the seminar, we were asked to close our eyes, relax, and to imagine we were in a nice, relaxing place - we were to think of the most calm and peaceful surroundings we could. The idea was that, if in the future we felt stressed or overwhelmed, we could return to our own, special 'Happy Place'. 

During the exercise, I thought of a peaceful forest scene by a river, with birds singing and dear coming down to drink from the stream. It was a lovely, relaxing picture, and the idea worked - I always felt somewhat calmer when I thought of the scene in my mind.

However, that was years ago, and it's been a long time since I've thought of it.  That is, until yesterday.  Yesterday, we attended an auction, and on one of the tables, I spied the most beautiful picture.  I instantly exclaimed, 'Wow!  It's my Happy Place!', and when my children looked at me rather strangely, I went onto explain to them the story.


So, I bought the picture - much to my surprise, actually - at 110cm x 60cm it is rather large, and it had a note attached stating that the picture had recently been re-glassed and framed at a cost of $175. So, I figure my $45 was quite well spent. The beautiful wooden frame is, however, rather heavy, so putting it on the wall may be an adventure, but I have the perfect spot - right above my table in my room, which is where I often retreat when I need some time out.   It's a very rare thing that I will spend money on something such as a picture, but there you go - I've now officially bought something  'just beacause'! 


My Happy Place




Linda.

No comments: