Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Literature and Literacy Analysis

Well, after much thought (too much, me thinks!) I suddenly remembered a curriculum I had on my shelf that had been happily gathering dust for a number of years - Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

I though about all my goals for the rest of the year in regards to Literature - to have my high school students read good books, analyse Literature, and continue to write essays.  Ultimately, I wanted a course in English Literature, although nothing I looked at seemed quite right.  However, after blowing off the cobwebs from the huge volumes of the LOTR curriculum, I was pleasantly surprised - this resource covered all of the above, and more!  Even though it's focus is on LOTR, it also covers other Literature as well, such as Beowulf and the Arthurian Legends.


We completed the first chapter and lesson today, and so far, all looks good.  The only issue I have is that the lesson plans are written for 180 days, where as we only have 3 terms (150 days) left in the school year - so we'll work that one out as we go  - the lesson plans themselves do mention it can be done over one semester - I'll need to sit down with the plans and go over them thoroughly when I have the time. 

Some of us have previously read LOTR, others have not, but had always 'planned' to.  So, it seems as if this curriculum may just be the one.  The children are very keen, too - which is always a great start! 

I'll post some more later as to how we are going with it all.

Linda.

No comments: